Total Pageviews

Friday, January 15, 2010

Content - to post or not to post...

So, you are a twitter-er, a Facebook-er, a Blogger...

You post pictures of your dog licking itself, videos of your coworkers eating cinnamon and vomiting, or you bad mouth a client or even a boss.

WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?

This is the internet, people!  Everything you say is searchable, printable, and can bite you in the butt!  I actually just saw a twitter with a picture that was drawn on a whiteboard that was awful, and bordered on obscene. Let's think from the perspective of who might look at that:
  • Employees/Peers - "Hmmm, I didn't expect that to go out to the world... and now my boss posted it.", "Hey, my boss posts to twitter every 15 minutes... when does she work?", "Hey my boss was twittering during our one on one... no wonder why he never remembers anything"
  • Superiors - "This person represents my company to the world - like this", ""Hey, my boss posts to twitter every 15 minutes... when does she work?"
  • Clients - "No wonder they can't make deadlines", "I don't want this person on my account", "Why would I go and spend money at this place, I may get twittered about", "They may be nice in person, but this is who they really are"
  • Future employers - "We don't need this in our company"
I used to think, if I was about to do something that would make it impossible to run for political office, I might think twice about it before doing it... now I think you should think about the old adage...

If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all...

I am not the model for this - but I am getting better and better at it, and it's not like I wouldn't want to lambaste a few choice people for the world to see, but very few people will hang around your tweets and banter, if you are always negative or rude.  They may enjoy or think it's funny right now, but remember that what people say is indelible, especially if they can search and pull it up later...

Just a thought or two :)

-K

No comments:

Post a Comment