Yeah... marketing. If I am happy all the time, and my business is always communicating positively - does it always have a positive effect?
I own a small business in a great little town with amazing customers, a fantastic city that supports me, great landlords, awesome associates... it's not always rosy, but for cripes sake people, I don't talk about it in my social media (and if I do, I delete immediately - #fail). Downside to only being positive online, looking like I live a life of leisure eating cheese and drinking wine next to winemakers, movie stars, and other peeps people aspire to be near for some reason - is that people think I am rich and that my business is ALWAYS booming. I have heard this from other small business owners - people say to them all the time - "You are so lucky - you have such flexibility!" or "It must be nice to not have to report to anyone" or "You get paid for your effort - that must be so cool".
HAHAHAHAHAHA - here is what I have learned in the 2 years I have owned a business:
- If flexibility means working 24 hours a day - then yes, I have that.
- I report to my customers - and my customers drink :-)
- Customers are your lifeblood - try as hard as you can to make them happy - and if you can't - know you did your best.
- Good staff is even more important. We all get tired, always let them know when they are doing something well.
- Unless you invented Starbucks, you are not getting rich or paid for every hour you work - so figure out how to save your pennies to have some time to yourself. I saved 10-20 bucks a night in tips for 100 days to pay for my vacation - it can be done. (BTW - this makes you look rich too)
- Ride it - perceived success can beget real success. Perceived success usually has a strong foundation in truth unless you have an amazing Ad team that can spread it thick and well... if you are a small biz, it's probably truth.
Biz Stone from Twitter has this problem, his friends think he owns a 10bill dollar business. Even at 3.7bill, none of that is in his pocket. But, the news reporting 10bill all over the place lends credibility, stability and doesn't hurt his business at all. Look at what is going on for your biz from that perspective. Marketing is marketing, even if it looks like news.